Wednesday, December 2, 2009

New York City Blues

Well, it seems that the state of New York has taken the low-road when it comes to gay marriage. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in the outcome. I mean, why is it my rights as a gay man are left up to popular vote? Does anyone remember the Civil Rights movement? Think about it-- my ancestor's rights were at the mercy of a bunch of morons who wanted to keep them in the back of the bus and drink in separate water fountains. It wasn't until the Civil Rights Act that set things in motion for blacks to have the same rights as whites.

I say enough is enough. I want my rights! NOW! I don't want to wait until I'm 70 to be able to marry my partner! I'm also tired of subsidizing something that I will not benefit from at all. Remember the phrase "No taxation without representation."? And for those who want to talk about the sanctity of marriage, check out these two stellar examples: Exhibit 1 and Exhibit 2.

So my question is: How come these people can get to marry as many times as they want, but I can't even do it once?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's time for Civil Rights Act Redux: because there is still work to be done.

    ReplyDelete